Best tools for remote DBA access via web browser

From: Paul Vincent <Paul.Vincent_at_uce.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 08:19:32 +0100

Hi all,

The spectre of 24x7 monitoring of our Oracle databases has reared its ugly head, so I've been asked to look into the best way of having DBA access to the databases via a web browser, so that I can obtain "anytime, anywhere" access to the databases through a web interface. I know that one solution is to set up the web interface to Oracle Enterprise Manager, using Oracle Management Server, but to be honest my experiences with OMS so far (without the web interface) have been a bit flaky. All our databases are part of 3rd-party products, so they have a variety of configurations and versions (ranging from a couple of 8.1.7 to a few 9.2.0.6), on a mixture of Sun and Wintel platforms, and some do their agent-to-agent chattting quite happily whilst others are more problematic. So any 3rd-party web-based Oracle DBA tools would be worth evaluating.

Any recommendations?

Paul Vincent
Oracle DBA
UCE Birmingham