RE: FW: DBAs:Databases 1:10 (Oracle) 1:31 (SQL Server)

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 22:24:53 -0400

Against my better judgement I'll help you assemble a meaningless metric.

Internally Rightsizing, Inc. has 5 databases and we have about 1 one hundredth of an FTE DBA (me) for internal databases.

Let me be clearer: I used a classic commercial example to point out how wildly the metric can vary in meaning. Here is a general example.

Company A has 100 databases, and 2 DBAs.

Company B had 100 databases, and 2 DBAs.

Two weeks ago the logical function and size of the databases was identical. Then Company B consolidated 100 databases to 10, so now they have 10 databases and 2 DBAs. The company work volume remains identical to Company A, but the metric has changed. The metric cannot be trusted, and when someone asks you what it is, the proper answer is 42, and thanks for all the fish*.
(That's not a real example, but it just as easily could be.)

Since in general Oracle Databases are more volume and complexity capable than pretty much anything else you'll be comparing to, there will be a sample bias against Oracle. (Gasp, Farnham defends Oracle?)

We both, I believe, are dedicated to truth, justice, and the "Thrown out of England"* way. So I'm trying to convince you to debunk this metric rather than answering the question.

As always, highest regards to you Tony,

Mark

*1=Reference to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe and the Oracle-l expression for a unitless numeric answer to a random, misleading, or meaningless metric

*2=Superman would have said "American Way", but circa 1990 I started using this phrase to acknowledge the otherwise unexplained sympatico between pretty much all of Australia and all of the US (except possibly during the swimming of certain Olympic swimming events). I have no earthly idea if I invented the expression and I make no claim to first use.