RE: DBAs:Databases 1:10 (Oracle) 1:31 (SQL Server)

From: <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 09:14:06 -0700

>>>I attended a presentation yesterday on SQL2005. They claimed
>>>to have instituted a locking mechanism similar to Oracle's.

they have. SQL2005 also supports scalable shared databases. on a polyserve cluster you can have one database in the SAN (CFS) mounted on up to 16 servers, run reports or ad hoc queries, ETL, etc  concurrently and then scale back to since server read/write mode. It scales linearly. This is not parallel execution, but concurrent. And transforming from read/write OLTP mode to 16 node scaled out mode is a simple command, takes 30 seconds and there are no volume mount/unmount operations to do it.

It isn't Sybase Cougar, but hey, at least it is a cousin.

If anyone wants the paper, let me know.