RE: DBAs:Databases 1:10 (Oracle) 1:31 (SQL Server)

From: <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 11:44:13 -0400

I attended a presentation yesterday on SQL2005. They claimed to have instituted a locking mechanism similar to Oracle's. I asked about flashback. Apparently you can create database snapshots but you have to know to create one just before somebody drops a table accidently. They are supposed to be getting back to me about FGAC.

Most of our money goes to Oracle licensing. If Microsoft can get anywhere close we're probably going to convert. I really don't know enough to argue the merits of the case either way.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Grant Allen Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 9:33 AM
To: Oracle-L_at_freelists.org

Gene Sais wrote:
> What Oracle calls a database is different from what SQLserver calls a
> database. SQLserver databases are equivalent to Oracle schema's.

Bzzzzt! Wrong (and not just you Gene - sorry to single you out). This has not been the case for nearly a decade! It makes me laugh every time

someone states this, especially as I have no love for the M$ product. SQL Server has *exactly* the same schema support as Oracle *as well as* support for multiple databases hosted by a given instance. A more accurate way of thinking of databases in SQL Server is as another namespace level above schemas.

To keep this vaguely on topic, I wonder if the "number of databases" count for SQL Server is artificially boosted by the fact that for every instance a DBA manages, they can claim to be managing 5 or 6 databases for nothing - master, msdb, tempdb, pubs/northwind/adventureworks.

Ciao
Fuzzy
:-)