RE: RAC and ASM disk layout

From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 21:52:09 -0600

On 06/11/2006 03:38:53 PM, goran bogdanovic wrote:
> Depends of how you understand "if you know the way how it works"...I
> do not have to know (every single detail) how internally one airplane
> works, but if I know all the possibilities of the airplane and how to
> use them efficiently, it is enough for me to make my flight efficient
> and comfortable.

>> Except in the cases where the plane has some quirks which will be
straightened
>> up in the future releases. Boeing 747 used to have electric wiring in the
gas
>> tanks, which was straightened up after the tragedy of the flight TWA-800
which
>> plunged into Atlantic somewhere east of Long Island, killing everybody
aboard.
>> There was also a great ship called Itanic, Itanium or something like
that,
>> famous for Kate Winslet singing and Leonardo di Caprio freezing. That
tragedy,
>> and here I don't mean Kate's singing, could have also been avoided, had
the captain
>> known that his ship was not unsinkable. Other then that, you can enjoy
your flight or
>> not, depending on the qualities of the plane. You could make a decision
to take your passengers on the >> fateful flight. You never know. And that makes you an ideal marketing
>> target for the new products.
>> Let me ask you a question: would you fly with the new and unproven Airbus
A380 or
>> would you rather opt for slightly less fancy B-747 instead? I would
definitely chose
>> the latter option. ASM is, in effect, A380. Until it's proven itself to
the degree
>> of B-747, I'll admire it from afar. You and me are both from the same
area of the
>> world and, as such, we both occasionally fly home and that is a decision
we both
>> have to make from time to time.

Agree with you, 100%. Caution is always warranted with the new technology... Just like us leading edgers, I rather think the captain of Titanic might well have known of the short comings of the vessel and it's design (as others did). But it was the latest and greatest!

I've seen clients that used ASM when it first came out and certain persons who will go unnamed opted to use it. ASM had lots of problems. I would not have done so, and in fact I'm not sure I would now. Just my opinion.

> Like in a Formula 1 race, Michael Schumacher knows how to efficiently
> use and drive good car designed by good engineers, and he was 7 time
> world champion :-) Give one of those good engineers to drive this car,
> he won't even finish the race :-)

>> Racing is not a big deal. It takes more skill to drive from Stony Brook
>> Manhattan on Monday morning, using I-456, otherwise known as LIE (Long
Island
>> Expressway). That is where car and driver prove themselves.
Alternatively, you
>> can try I-95 south from Bridgeport, CT to New York City any day of the
week,
>> during the morning rush hour.

Hey... Boeing has a flying club so those engineers will actually understand what it's like to actually FLY an airplane. In fact, I was just reading a story of someone at Cessna who started out as an engineer, learned to fly in the flying club, and is now a test pilot for the Citation.

> I am not saying that a ASM is perfect (CBO is not perfect also) and
> that can be used in every
> situation, but if used properly in right situation, can make a life of
> a DBA much easier.

>> Or, in some situations, a living hell. I don't want to take a chance.
>> God might play dice, but I do not.

I agree.... until a product is stable, I prefer not to use it. However, one has to guard against the other side.... One has to guard against the "Oh, I tried that in 7.3, and found a bug in it so I'll never use it again". That is way to far on the other side of the fence.

Cheers!

Robert