Re: RAC and ASM disk layout

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 16:54:00 -0400

On 06/11/2006 03:38:53 PM, goran bogdanovic wrote:
> Depends of how you understand "if you know the way how it works"...I
> do not have to know (every single detail) how internally one airplane
> works, but if I know all the possibilities of the airplane and how to
> use them efficiently, it is enough for me to make my flight efficient
> and comfortable.

Except in the cases where the plane has some quirks which will be straightened up in the future releases. Boeing 747 used to have electric wiring in the gas tanks, which was straightened up after the tragedy of the flight TWA-800 which plunged into Atlantic somewhere east of Long Island, killing everybody aboard. There was also a great ship called Itanic, Itanium or something like that, famous for Kate Winslet singing and Leonardo di Caprio freezing. That tragedy, and here I don't mean Kate's singing, could have also been avoided, had the captain known that his ship was not unsinkable. Other then that, you can enjoy your flight or not, depending on the qualities of the plane. You could make a decision to take your passengers on the fateful flight. You never know. And that makes you an ideal marketing target for the new products.
Let me ask you a question: would you fly with the new and unproven Airbus A380 or would you rather opt for slightly less fancy B-747 instead? I would definitely chose the latter option. ASM is, in effect, A380. Until it's proven itself to the degree of B-747, I'll admire it from afar. You and me are both from the same area of the world and, as such, we both occasionally fly home and that is a decision we both have to make from time to time.

> Like in a Formula 1 race, Michael Schumacher knows how to efficiently
> use and drive good car designed by good engineers, and he was 7 time
> world champion :-) Give one of those good engineers to drive this car,
> he won't even finish the race :-)

Racing is not a big deal. It takes more skill to drive from Stony Brook to Manhattan on Monday morning, using I-456, otherwise known as LIE (Long Island Expressway). That is where car and driver prove themselves. Alternatively, you can try I-95 south from Bridgeport, CT to New York City any day of the week, during the morning rush hour.

> I am not saying that a ASM is perfect (CBO is not perfect also) and
> that can be used in every
> situation, but if used properly in right situation, can make a life of
> a DBA much easier.

Or, in some situations, a living hell. I don't want to take a chance. God might play dice, but I do not.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mgogala.com