RE: RAC and ASM disk layout

From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 14:14:29 -0600

>> I do not have to know (every single detail) how internally one airplane
>> works, but if I know all the possibilities of the airplane and how to
>> use them efficiently, it is enough for me to make my flight efficient
>> and comfortable.

This is true until that airplane decides that it's not going to work as advertised. Once something fails, then knowing as much about that airplane as possible can make dealing with the problem much easier and can help one avoid a nasty crash. For example, in my airplane, if my AI fails, knowing how to detect that it's failed (suction failure perhaps indicated by the suction gauge) and properly interpreting the other performance instruments (dg, altimeter, vs, etc...) makes the flight a whole lot better for me and all those on board. There is something disconcerting about seeing the ground rolling out below you at 500 AGL in a spiraling dive...

ASM, SQL, etc... are all the same. When things work like you expect they will, life is great. The Optimizer gives you a good execution plan and your query works fine. It might even be that the optimizer gives you a *bad* execution plan and everything still works fine.

It's when those nasty problems occur that the men are separated from the boys. Those who know (or know how to quickly find the answers) succeed. Those who don't fail (or call support). I prefer to be in the former group as much as possible (but I freely admit to many times when I fell in the second group).

That being said.... technology is so intertwined and so layered, that it's hard to know everything anymore, even hard to understand everything anymore. So, if you don't know the answer, at least know who it is that will know the answer. :-)

RF