Re: RAC and ASM disk layout

From: goran bogdanovic <goran00_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 21:38:53 +0200

Depends of how you understand "if you know the way how it works"...I do not have to know (every single detail) how internally one airplane works, but if I know all the possibilities of the airplane and how to use them efficiently, it is enough for me to make my flight efficient and comfortable.
Like in a Formula 1 race, Michael Schumacher knows how to efficiently use and drive good car designed by good engineers, and he was 7 time world champion :-) Give one of those good engineers to drive this car, he won't even finish the race :-)

I am not saying that a ASM is perfect (CBO is not perfect also) and that can be used in every
situation, but if used properly in right situation, can make a life of a DBA much easier.
Kevin, from a database point of view, could you please explain what we can not do with the ASM?

Cheers,
Goran