Java external procedure help?

From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 13:35:11 -0600

I'm trying to create an external java procedure and call it from within Oracle. I've already created a very basic procedure and everything works fine, so I am fairly certain the Oracle configuration is ok.

Here is the java:

import java.io.*;
class FileOutputDemo
{

        public static void main(String args[])
        {
                FileOutputStream out; // declare a file output object
                PrintStream p; // declare a print stream object
                try
                {

// Create a new file output stream
// connected to "myfile.txt"
out = new FileOutputStream("myfile.txt");
// Connect print stream to the output stream
p = new PrintStream( out ); p.println ("This is written to a file"); p.close(); } catch (Exception e) { System.err.println ("Error writing to file"); } }

}

I can compile this, and I can run it from the OS. I then try to set it up in Oracle so I can call it externally:

SQL> create directory j_dir as 'c:/java'; SQL> create java class using bfile (j_dir, 'FileOutputDemo.class');

These steps all work ok.

When I try to create the procedure I get an error. Here is the call to create the java stored procedure:

Create or replace procedure test_write
is
language java
name 'FileOutputDemo(java.lang.String)';

And this is the error being returned:

Warning: Procedure created with compilation errors.

SQL> show err
Errors for PROCEDURE TEST_WRITE:

LINE/COL ERROR

0/0      PL/SQL: Compilation unit analysis terminated
4/1      PLS-00311: the declaration of
         "FileOutputDemo.main(java.lang.String)" is incomplete or
         malformed

I'm sure I'm defining the class incorrectly somehow. Can someone help me please?

Robert