RE: disable pk works differently in oracle 9 and oracle 10?

From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_il.proquest.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 10:49:16 -0400

>From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org

[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Connor McDonald
>Sent: Friday, June 09, 2006 12:59 AM
>To: gogala_at_sbcglobal.net
>Cc: genegurevich_at_discoverfinancial.com; oracle-l
>Subject: Re: disable pk works differently in oracle 9 and oracle 10?

 > I have to admit I like the new default...now if only I could set a unique index to unusable I'd be a happy camper

Connor, you may not be able to mark a unique index unusable, but you can get around that by making the index non-unique. I've used this technique before.

Create non-unique index, add unique constraint (which will utilize non-unique index), then, when I want to, I can disable constraint, mark index unusable, do data load, rebuild index nologging, and enable constraint.

--
Mark J. Bobak
Senior Oracle Architect

relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.  --Richard P. Feynman, 1918-1988