Re: disable pk works differently in oracle 9 and oracle 10?

From: <genegurevich_at_discoverfinancial.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 08:04:00 -0500

Mladen,

thanks. I was not aware of the "drop index" clause in the alter table disable constraint.

thank you

Gene Gurevich
Oracle Engineering
224-405-4079

             Mladen Gogala
             <gogala_at_sbcglobal
             .net>                                                      To
             Sent by:                  genegurevich_at_discoverfinancial.com
             oracle-l-bounce_at_f                                          cc
             reelists.org              oracle-l <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: disable pk works differently in
             06/08/2006 06:08          oracle 9 and oracle 10?
             PM

             Please respond to
             gogala_at_sbcglobal.
                    net

On 06/08/2006 01:40:26 PM, genegurevich_at_discoverfinancial.com wrote:
> Hi all:

> SQL> create table test1 (f1 number);
>
> Table created.
>
> SQL> create unique index test1_pk on test1 (f1);
>
> Index created.
>
> SQL> alter table test1 add constraint test1_pk primary key (f1) using
>
> Table altered.
>
> SQL> select index_name from dba_indexes where table_name = 'TEST1';
> TEST1_PK
>
> SQL> alter table test1 disable primary key;
>
> Table altered.
>
> SQL> select index_name from dba_indexes where table_name = 'TEST1';
> TEST1_PK
>
> Here the index stays after the PK is disabled.
>
> This is a big difference IMO and I wonder whether this is a new feature
in
> oracle10 or whether this is something I am not
> doing correctly. If anyone has any insight on that please let me know
>
> thank you
>
> Gene Gurevich
> Oracle Engineering
> 224-405-4079

Gene, it must be a bug in your version. In my database, 10.2.0.2, the index goes as well:

Connected to:
Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.2.0 - Production With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options

SQL> create table test1 (f1 number);

Table created.

SQL> create unique index test1_pk on test1 (f1);

Index created.

SQL> alter table test1 add constraint test1_pk primary key (f1) using   2 index test1_pk;

Table altered.

SQL> alter table test1 disable constraint test1_pk drop index;

Table altered.

SQL> select count(*) from user_indexes where index_name='TEST1_PK';

  COUNT(*)

         0

SQL> It's probably the infamous RTFM bug in your version.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mgogala.com