Re: disable pk works differently in oracle 9 and oracle 10?

From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw_at_centrexcc.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 16:33:35 -0600

For me the Oracle 10 behaviour makes more sense, is more logical if not to say intuitive. Why should I expect my (unique) index do disappear just because I disable - not even drop - the primary key constraint. I may still want it around to enforce uniqueness. Other than that (I let) Oracle conveniently use the index to enforce the constraint there is no connection between the PK constraint and the index.

At 11:40 AM 6/8/2006, genegurevich_at_discoverfinancial.com wrote:
>Hi all:
>
>I have noticed that something that I was able to do in oracle9 can't be
>done in oracle10. This is very annoying and
>I would appreciate any thoughts on this:
>
>Oracle 9:
>

>As you see when I disable the primary key, my index goes away as well. When
>I do the same in oracle 10G however
>things are different:
>

>Here the index stays after the PK is disabled.
>
>This is a big difference IMO and I wonder whether this is a new feature in
>oracle10 or whether this is something I am not
>doing correctly. If anyone has any insight on that please let me know

Regards

Wolfgang Breitling
Centrex Consulting Corporation
http://www.centrexcc.com