IO errors on Linux x86_64

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 11:19:44 -0700

Dear List:

I've run into some interesting errors this week.

First, some background:

OS: RH EL4 Linux 2.6.9-22.ELsmp #1 SMP Mon Sep 19 18:00:54 EDT 2005 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Oracle: 9.2.0.7 64 Bit
HW: Dell 1850 - Dual multicore Pentium ( or whatever the correct chip name is)
Mem: 8 Gig
Storage: Dell Clariion CX700 SAN

This particular server has several databases on it already that are working without problem.

The default for filesystemio_options is 'none'.

After the databases have been created and app data imported, I've changed filesystemio_options = directIO.

No particular reason for doing it later, other than I didn't add it to the init.ora
when the database was built.

A new database was created this week for another app. (Yes, it requires another database. Don't get sidetracked :)

In the course of doing some test imports, I turned on directIO.

With directIO on, the following error would occur about halfway throught the import:

Errors in file /u01/app/oracle//admin/pr09/bdump/pr09_ckpt_29193.trc:

ORA-01171: datafile 12 going offline due to error advancing checkpoint
ORA-01110: data file 12: '/u01/oradata/pr09/agile_indx101pr09.ora'
ORA-01115: IO error reading block from file 12 (block # 1)
ORA-27072: skgfdisp: I/O error

Linux-x86_64 Error: 5: Input/output error

I've tested this a few times.

Three times with directIO enabled, there were IO errors. One time with directIO enabled, the export succeeded.

The import has never failed with directIO disabled.

According to everything I can find on MetaLink, there are no patches required for directIO with this platform and version of Linux.

Just in case this *is* a SW problem, directIO has been turned off on other databases, though no other db has exhibited this problem.

Has anyone seen a similar problem?

Or maybe someone here will recognize that error as definitely being HW related? (Matthew Z or Kevin C?)

Our SA has opened a ticket with EMC on this, but nothing yet...

Thanks,

--
Jared Still