Re: Statspack ratios help

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 15:13:20 +0100

On 6/8/06, Joseph Amalraj <joseph_at_amalrajinc.com> wrote:

> Can you suggest some books and other resources to learn about
> profiling.

I'm going to second Cary's book - I think every DBA should have it - though the longer I have it it seems to me the most important part of the book is the focus on business performance rather than on Method R. Perhaps I'm just getting older, grumpier and less technical but it seems to me that at least as important as the lesson that we are doing the wrong things is the lesson that even where we are doing the right things we are doing them *to *the wrong targets.

I'd also suggest that you look up the phrase 'code profiling' on, say Google. A lot of profiling still does *just* the raw count thing, but there is enough knowledge out there on response/elapsed time measurement as well. Of course the fact that there is so much information on instrumenting your code out there so that profiling can be done doesn't mean that anyone much is actually doing it :)

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA