RE: 10G and UFS - long write times

From: Hallas, John, Tech Dev <John.Hallas_at_gb.vodafone.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 14:42:52 +0100

I would be very keen if others can run the test specified in my earlier post and compare 9i and 10g on UFS mounted disk, on Solaris would be even better.

The test is very simple but whilst we are a very big site I do not have that many 10G databases on local disk setups to really prove the case either way.

From a few responses I have I think people are confusing what I am actually saying. I am not expecting UFS to be as fast as SAN. However I am expecting 9i to be the same as 10g on UFS and that is not what I am seeing. I am looking at 10g being twice as slow as 9i in the scenario I have provided which whilst maybe not realistic is a valid test. That is write and commit 50,000 times

I have not created the 10G databases any differently than I would the 9i ones. They essentially have many of the same init.ora parameters. If we need to tweak specifically for 10G on UFS then so be it but I need to fully understand the issue first

John