RE: APPNAME in trace

From: Petersen, Nelson <nelson.petersen_at_homehardware.ca>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 16:51:14 -0400

Thanks James and John.

The PL/SQL, developed in-house (not Oracle Apps), is called from a batch job which runs a script.

The script doesn't loop, but the PL/SQL does ... through all order_lines for a specified order_release_id.

I just didn't understand why consecutive "APPNAME mod=" lines would be emitted in the
trace. I've had a heart-to-heart with one of our support analysts.

     Standards (established for good reasons) led to the use of SET_MODULE. For this particular batch job, *every* procedure and function call registers and de-registers
the module or action. Functions are called during assignment operations. The trace file doesn't show assignments (may level-12 would?), so it was not really obvious what
was calling SET_MODULE.

I'm having a little trouble with calculating how much this contributes to response time,
but I'll review Cary/Jeff's book tonight. Some time seems to be missing, but I hope
to pinpoint that tonight.

Thanks again,
Nelson

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of James Foronda Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 8:44 AM
To: nelson.petersen_at_homehardware.ca
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

Nelson,

Petersen, Nelson wrote:
> Would the trace be writing these lines out-of-order?
> I've looked at the PL/SQL (developed in-house) and I don't see
> consecutive calls to SET_MODULE.

Is there only one call to SET_MODULE in your PL/SQL code? If yes, is that code being called from outside of Oracle (some scripts or GUI program)? Maybe the calling program loops around the call to the PL/SQL code?

James
http://jforonda.blogspot.com