Re: A question from OCA exam

From: stephen booth <stephenbooth.uk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 18:34:31 +0100

On 07/06/06, Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR) <Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us> wrote:
> Wouldn't it be interesting if the exam tested something important rather
> than ambiguous terminology?
>
> I hate exams that throw in questions that mean nothing just to try and
> catch someone on a vague recollection of something that they might have
> heard in a class.

I did the four 9i certification DBA track courses a couple of years ago; 4 different trainers, two different companies both runnign the oracle University courses. All four trainers started out by saying some variation on "I can teach you how to pass the exam or I can teach you how to administer Oracle databases, I can't do both. Which do you want?"

I've done a couple of the 8i DBA track exams and a number of the practice exams for the 9i DBA track. I got the feeling that many of the questions are chosen because they're on something that is easy to write questions about rather than actually having much relevance to the work of a DBA (or at least my experience of the work of a DBA).

Stephen

http://stephensorablog.blogspot.com/

 'nohup cd /; rm -rf * > /dev/null 2>&1 &'