RE : How to do a Top-N analysis, while avoiding subqueries

From: Marius Raicu <mariu200_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 12:07:27 +0200 (CEST)

RANK()/DENSE_RANK() and in general analytic functions? - see oracle datawarehousing guide

Regards

tristan.van.essen_at_accenture.com a écrit : st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) } Hi folks, this is my first question in this mailing list.

  How do you do a top-n analysis while avoiding subqueries, but still use group functions on other columns?

  I have following Query:

  SELECT COUNT(city) quantity, city
  FROM customer
  GROUP BY city
  ORDER BY quantity DESC;

  This works fine so far with the exception that I only want the first record returned, instead of all. I tried to solve the problem with the ROWNUM function, but it won’t work well. The problem here is that I must include ROWNUM in the GROUP BY clause, else the query fails. But then the result isn’t right anymore. I wish there was any sort of LIMIT BY clause, like there is in MySQL.

  How can I solve this, while not using any subqueries?

  Regards,
  Tristan

  Tristan van Essen
  Accenture Technology Solutions AG
  Baslerstrasse 60
  CH-8048 Zürich
  Office: +41 44 405 3245
  Mobile: +41 79 654 0592
  Email: tristan.van.essen_at_accenture.com

Regards,
Marius

Do You Yahoo!?
En finir avec le spam? Yahoo! Mail vous offre la meilleure protection possible contre les messages non sollicités http://mail.yahoo.fr Yahoo! Mail