RE: SPOOL Problem

From: <Graeme.Farmer_at_mincom.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 13:12:25 +1000

I would expect that it is an SQL*Plus bug as this is the program that is responsible for accepting the data from the RDBMS and outputting it to file. (The fact that the realloc system call is unhandled would indicate to me that the memory allocation routine is not being tested which is certainly a bug).

Typically a program would read the incoming data (from the RDBMS) into a buffer and then writing from that buffer to the output destination (eg terminal/disk file).

If memory is continuously being allocated to increase the size of the buffer but it is not being released then this leads to a memory leak.

Of course, there could be another reason for your problem so best to raise a TAR and have the guys that write the software give you the definitive answer. To be honest, I’ve never tried creating a spool file that large and it may be that the developers of SQL*Plus didn’t anticipate users would have this requirement either!

What are you actually trying to achieve, there may be an alternative solution?

Cheers

Graeme Farmer