RE: High disk capacity dangers

From: <>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 10:45:36 -0700

1 more item to's better to look at the amount of free space then the percentage used of the filesystem.

If you extend your filesystem online (fsadm command) then you will need approximately 1MB of free space in the filesytem to perform this expansion.

From: [] On Behalf Of Jesper Haure Norrevang Sent: Tuesday, June 06, 2006 6:25 AM
To:; Subject: SV: High disk capacity dangers

In my shop we have 40 databases on HP-UX. I have dedicated file systems for the Oracle databases. I see no problem in filling them 99 %, as long as no datafiles are running in AUTOEXTEND mode.

I usually reserve a little space for the control files to grow. Yes I want them to grow, because I have set CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME = 30 in order to keep information about RMAN-backup in the control file for one month, if I should be unlucky and loose my recovery catalog.

Many years ago I had a case on Digital Unix/SAP R3 with tar making sparse files when restoring datafiles from tape. It was dangerous, when the datafiles started to grow physically as new blocks were formatted, but it is quite another story.

Jesper Norrevang