RE: High disk capacity dangers

From: Khemmanivanh, Somckit <somckit.khemmanivanh_at_weyerhaeuser.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 10:28:07 -0700

You are using online JFS correct? Then it's not that big of a concern.

Here's something from HP's Engineer's on the subject:

· I have been assured by several engineers that OnlineJFS will NOT corrupt data as the file system fills up
· The file system may begin to report failed writes due to lack of space (more relevant on a typical file system where new files are constantly being created)

· The Admin Guide suggests keeping a minimum of 10% free for an JFS file system
· The available storage is equal to the requested/configured. Additional storage for the metadata of OnlineJFS is added outside of the configured storage. The amount of space allocated for metadata is a percentage of the configured storage so varies by capacity

· File systems can be extended online or offline, depending on underlying physical storage.
· File system extension WILL NOT cause data corruption
· File system extension could have problems IF the file system is excessively full
· VxVM can extend the volume online
· OnlineJFS can extend the file system after one of the above volume extensions is performed, online
· There are a number of performance and tuning commands available for OnlineJFS. Please refer to the Administration Guide.

Thanks!