Re: Will the function in the GROUP BY clause be calculated?

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_roughsea.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 08:50:39 +0200

QiHua,

    Consider a GROUP BY as distributing the rows among a set of boxes; you only want to keep the boxes that contain more than two rows. If assigning one row to one box depends on the result of one function, then you have to compute the function for each and every row, otherwise you don't know where to store it. I therefore means that you have to compute your function one million times simply to know where your row goes. However, you DON'T need to compute it 200,000 times more - once your rows are dealt, you know, by definition, the result of the function for each box that contain them.

I hope it is clear,

Stéphane Faroult