RE: Oracle's relationships with expert DBAs (and the rest of us mere mortals)

From: Ken Naim <kennaim_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 12:10:58 -0500

I figured this thread would have been closed by now. As we all know it is all about the right tools for the right skill set for the right job for the right price. If you expertise in Solaris for example get Solaris, if you have Linux experience get Linux etc, if you get Linux when you know Windows, you will have nightmare and vice versa. The same applies to databases, there is a place for all the databases that are out there, if there weren't nobody would buy/download them and then there would no point for anyone to keep them updated.

I personally prefer Oracle on Solaris; why?

1. It is what I know best
2. It is what I have worked on the most
3. It is what has given me the least amount of trouble over the years,
probably because of reasons 1 and 2.

I know some dba's that prefer Oracle on Windows if I were to ask why I'd get exactly the same 3 reasons.