Re: Oracle's relationships with expert DBAs (and the rest of us mere mortals)

From: MVE <mvetmp-ora_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 10:01:49 -0700 (PDT)

Well lets see here ... just for ORACLE EE (not even OAS, not even ORACLE APPS just plain old ORACLE EE):

Certify - Certification Matrix: Oracle Database - Enterprise Edition on Solaris Operating System (SPARC)

Solaris 2.6 	ORACLE 9.2 Addtl. Info.: NONE
Solaris 9 	ORACLE 9.2 Addtl. Info.: NONE
Solaris 8 	ORACLE 9.2 Addtl. Info.: NONE
Solaris 7 	ORACLE 9.2 Addtl. Info.: NONE
Solaris 10 	ORACLE 9.2 Addtl. Info.: NONE

Certify - Certification Matrix: Oracle Database - Enterprise Edition on Linux (x86)

RH-E Linux AS/ES 4 	9.2 Addtl. Info.: pointer to a OTN doc
RH-E Linux AS/ES 3 	9.2 Addtl. Info.: huge list of pre-reqs
RH-E Linux AS/ES 2.1 	9.2 Addtl. Info.: pointer to a metalink note

Right of the bat we have to do more work (on Linux) for my initial install and subsequent os upgrades.

More work = more chances for a human error
More work = more chances for failure/downtime
More work = higher cost

Is that you best practice?