Re: Oracle's relationships with expert DBAs (and the rest of us mere mortals)

From: bill thater <shrekdba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 10:51:36 -0500

> This is NOT only initial cost YOU have to jump through the same hoops every
> time Linux changes their os which is more often than Solaris (we ran on the
> same boxes same os for 7 years).

hmmmm.... all we've had to do is apply the kernel patches, reboot the box and bring up the databases. maybe i've been lucky?

> And again you are running ORACLE why would you choose the worst possible
> hardware/os for it? This is an ORACLE list after all where we collaborate on
> the best practices of running ORACLE. ORACLE/Linux is not the best practice.

well, seems to work fine for us with no major problems. guess it may be how you define best practice?

Bill "Shrek" Thater     ORACLE DBA
       shrekdba_at_gmail.com
To live in dialogue with another is to live twice. Joys are doubled by
exchange and burdens are cut in half.  - Wishart