Re: Oracle's relationships with expert DBAs (and the rest of us mere mortals)

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 13:31:32 +0800

Quoting Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>:

> > As to the substance, I happen to think that both David and Mary-Ann are
> > right, Oracle do need to improve internally, particularly on their
> > response to newly discovered bugs (since bugs will always happen) and yes
> > they can learn from Microsoft here; equally the prevalent culture of

Actually, I'd rather they didn't learn from Microsoft at all! My windows desktop BSODs on average once a week. After it reboots, it sends a "report" to Microsoft, which then opens up my browser and tells me what I should do next to "investigate" the problem.

Me? Why should I investigate the problem for Microsoft? Are they paying my time to do so? Like, it's gonna happen...

If Oracle goes down the same way - aren't they already here? - then it's only gonna get worse!

It'd be nice if Oracle for example started making Metalink useful to find bugs. It used to be that we logged on to it and we could search open bugs, find out if the problem applied to our environment, watch for a fix and then download the patch. Have you tried to do so lately?

I can't even access the list of bugs fixed in 9i!!!! (Note 190077.1 if any1 is interested)

For Pete's sake - or Anjo's scotch - WHY is it that paid-up customers entitled to Metalink cannot see active or inactive or most bugs for that matter?

It's not like Oracle is free or cheap or something, that we have to put up with this sort of rubbish!

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto