Re: Oracle's relationships with expert DBAs (and the rest of us mere mortals)

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 23:25:42 +0100

On 5/31/06, MVE <mvetmp-ora_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 5/31/06, MVE <mvetmp-ora_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > What edge does Linux on a PC has over Solaris on a Sun Box?
> >
> > Adequate performance at a hugely reduced cost. Windows has this as well.
> As
> > a rule of thumb, yes I know!, you can now run at least a hundred
> concurrent
> > sessions of an erp app on hardware and software costing less than
> GBP4000
> > (oracle license excluded). Is it cast iron guaranteed reliable and
> > available, well no. Do you need it to be - probably not.
> >
> > Niall Litchfield
>
> That hardware cost "reduction" is irrelevant when you figure the rest of
> the
> cost to run a fairly decent size shop on ORACLE.

well define fairly decent sized. I'm firmly in the < 5000 employees < 300 concurrent user space here.

And when a shop has close 1 MIL in license and support fees the lousy 8K are
> not even a drop of water in the bucket.

well I just priced a 4-way opteron based system from HP with 4gb of ram (plenty for the type of customer I had in mind) at just over 5k us dollars. without any corporate deal. Again the list price of Oracle EE + support for this (don't need to buy EE here but lets just inflate things anyway) is 166k USD. again no corporate deal.

of course I could just buy a 4 way sun 440 for 24k and license Oracle at the same 166k.

so on a spend of 190k I just saved 19k or 10%. people like this. especially when they realize that a 4 way opteron likely beats an 8 way sparc 3 and they just saved 187k out of 280 odd.

And then 4 years later there's the mighty APPS upgrade and here you are on a
> fluid-always-changing platform (Linux), shoot in the foot, having to work
> twice
> as hard for what? For a lousy 8K reduction in the initial cost of
> hardware
> that is already obsolete anyway?

Now I agree that linux is a far too volatile base, but compared to apps? - come on. So long as you don't do legal patches, security patches and rollups you are probably in the same ball park.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA