RE: Tablespace reorganisation

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jeremiah_at_ora-600.net>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 11:48:43 -0700

On Wednesday, May 31, 2006 6:37 AM vikram singh wrote:

> I feel the following Link too would be of help to you. However, please let
> me know.
> http://www.embarcadero.com/resources/tech_papers/rswhitepaper1.pdf

Although the overall message in that paper is sound (you shouldn't reorganize tablespaces) it whitepaper is full of errors. It claims that tablespace reorganization is necessary for all kinds of mythical reasons.

> "The reason for performing a reorganization inside Oracle is primarily due

> to ... fragmentation..."

> "... fragmentation ...[is]... an object growing into multiple space
> extents."

> "... the ... expansion of the object into multiple extents can take some
> time for Oracle to perform as extra extents are allocated and recursive
> calls occur to the Oracle data dictionary."

This is a made up problem. Except in extraordinary situations, allocating an extent does not impact availability.

This is the same old chestnut that has been hashed over for a decade. See the section called "lots of extents are bad" in my paper: http://www.ora-600.net/articles/misconceptions.pdf.

> "...availability of the database is threatened when an object attempts to
> grow into another space extent, yet is prohibited from doing so because it

> has reached its maximum extent limit..."

This is a job for monitoring, not tablespace reorganization.

Additional errors persist throughout the paper. I don't think it makes Embarcadero look very good to have this up on their site. My apologies to the author if this seems harsh, but the errors are glaring and many of the misconceptions have been long refuted. I hope someone would point it out if one of my papers had such egregious errors.

--
Jeremiah Wilton
ORA-600 Consulting