RE: Oracle's relationships with expert DBAs (and the rest of us mere mortals)

From: Keith Moore <kmoore_at_zephyrus.com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 12:35:48 -0500 (CDT)

I'm not doubting you as I've seen some of the same surveys, but here is a survey by Merill Lynch of 75 US and 25 European CIOs.

Keith

"In the overall server market, the survey found, Hewlett-Packard, IBM and Dell were winners over Sun Microsystems. CIOs perceived these companies’ products to be more power efficient -- a quality 28% of the survey respondents said mattered in their purchasing decisions -- than Sun.

Farmer said Sun’s poor showing was likely due to the recent introduction of its more power-efficient platforms like the new T1 Niagara servers, which he said were still in the "tire-kicking stage."

But the survey offered some good news for Sun Microsystems. About 75% of the survey respondents said they think Sun’s Solaris operating system is better on x86 servers than Linux.

"Although it’s too early to call a trend, we have heard anecdotally of instances where Solaris is replacing Linux," Farmer said. "This would be bullish for Sun if it became widespread."