Re: DBV slow W2K server

From: Christo Kutrovsky <kutrovsky.oracle_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 11:12:35 -0400

Worst thing is Oracle support still asks for or recommends running it.

Seán, I use RMAN's backup validate for this. I am not sure if dbv has DirectIO on when doing a verify, I am pretty sure it doens't have async IO.

RMAN has both DirectIO (if supported, and Windoes does support, just turn it on with filesystemio_options=setall) and asyncIO. Add parallelism and you have the fastest database verify.

Why would you run it ? I have no idea :) I use it to find corrupted blocks. It populates v$database_block_corruption which is quite handy. Especially with the block-recover feature of RMAN.

Oh, and it's also very usefull to do performance benchmarks on sequencial IO.

--
Christo Kutrovsky
Senior Database/System Administrator

-- Christo Kutrovsky Senior Database/System Administrator The Pythian Group - www.pythian.com I blog at http://www.pythian.com/blogs/ -- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l