Re: 10gR2 - direct path load with enabled indexes - lots of undo generated from indexes

From: Radoulov, Dimitre <cichomitiko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 22:42:36 +0200

> On 5/30/06, Christo Kutrovsky <kutrovsky.oracle_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hello All,
>>
>> We're doing a direct path to an empty table via:
>>
>> insert /*+ APPEND*/ into TABLE as select * from other_schema.SAME_TABLE;
>>
>> The table has a primary key and a few extra indexes. The goal is to
>> perform the entire operation in nologging mode. The table and all
>> indexes are "nologging".

[...]

From Tom Kyte's forum:

<quote>

/*+ append */ into a heavily indexed (or just indexed for that matter ) table is
mostly a waste of keystrokes. It's best for a bulk load into a table with no

[...]

it would be better to disable the index, do the insert and then rebuild it unrecoverable.

[...]

</quote>

ref.

http://tinyurl.com/on9ux