Re: Oracle's relationships with expert DBAs (and the rest of us mere mortals)

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 09:58:22 -0400

On 05/30/2006 09:28:41 AM, Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR) wrote:
> Charles,
>

> I like this quote:
>

> She claimed that the British are particularly good at hacking as they
> have "the perfect temperament to be hackers--technically skilled,
> slightly disrespectful of authority, and just a touch of criminal
> behavior."

That quote proves that even a total imbecile can become chief security officer at Oracle Corp. I have to ask myself if this use of national prejudices and the attitude of not admitting any mistakes on part of Oracle is just her attitude or a pervasive attitude on part of the Oracle Corp. As for "the culture of hacking", she might need to look at her product and the way it's being tested. Outsourcing development to Elbonia because of the development cost doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Oracle, as any other corporation, is all about the bottom line. She's just blowing smoke because Oracle will have to spend money on testing the products before they ship them. Replacing product testing by changing culture is a neat idea, very similar to the idea of flying by flapping hands. If only we had a culture of the birds and were flapping hard enough, we would all be flying.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mgogala.com