Re: 9i Physical Standby - This is fun (not!)

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 21:22:45 -0400

On 05/29/2006 08:46:46 AM, David Barbour wrote:
> Greetings on this Memorial Day Holiday. I've got a 9i Primary database -
> 9.2.0.7 on AIX 5.3L. The physical standby, with the same database, OS and
> filesystem, is located in another state. The physical standby has been
> operating perfectly. Receiving archive logs from the primary, able to
> convert to a read-only and back again, no trouble.
>
> Then I decided to try to perform a switchover.
>
> Told the primary to 'alter database commit to switchover to physical
> standby;' and got a 'database altered'. Then a shutdown immediate;, startup
> nomount; and alter database mount standby database; It's all good. But I'm
> expecting the switchover_status in v$database on the standby to go to
> SWITCHOVER PENDING. It doesn't.
>
> Bummer.

David, no bummer. You did well my young padawan. The "SWITCHOVER PENDING" is the desired status. Now, you have to perform the switchover. Uncle Larry wants you (with the pointer finger pointed in your direction) to perform the following:
ALTER DATABASE COMMIT TO SWITCHOVER TO PRIMARY WITH SESSION SHUTDOWN WAIT; Your database will then sprout a new set of online redo logs, if you don't already have them created.

After that, you need to shutdown database (normal or immediate) and re-start it. That's it. May the force be with you!

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mgogala.com