9i Physical Standby - This is fun (not!)

From: David Barbour <david.barbour1_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 08:46:46 -0400

Greetings on this Memorial Day Holiday. I've got a 9i Primary database - 9.2.0.7 on AIX 5.3L. The physical standby, with the same database, OS and filesystem, is located in another state. The physical standby has been operating perfectly. Receiving archive logs from the primary, able to convert to a read-only and back again, no trouble.

Then I decided to try to perform a switchover.

Told the primary to 'alter database commit to switchover to physical standby;' and got a 'database altered'. Then a shutdown immediate;, startup nomount; and alter database mount standby database; It's all good. But I'm expecting the switchover_status in v$database on the standby to go to SWITCHOVER PENDING. It doesn't.

Bummer.

Can I perform an alter database commit switchover to primary database on the old primary at this point to bring it back without harm? Any ideas why I didn't see the switchover pending? I started the old primary with a different init<SID>.ora to set FAL_Clent, FAL_Server to let it receive logs. There have been no physical changes on the primary that would have required intervention on the standby. Both DBs show they're at the same archive log number, with the same SCN. They're identical - right down to the fact that they're both physical standbys right now.