Second call to DBMS_MVIEW.REFRESH takes much longer

From: Alex Gorbachev <gorbyx_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 18:08:31 +0200

Hi all,

I don't have much exposure to materialized views so, perhaps, it's a simple question.

I created materialized view log. Than I created materialized view base on prebuilt table (filled just before that). Than I run DBMS_MVIEW.REFRESH to fast refresh - it took some time and finished successfully. Almost right after that I run DBMS_MVIEW.REFRESH again and this was taking looooong time and finally failed with snapshot too old (well retention period is not very high on this DB).

So the question is why it takes longer to refresh second time? I would expect the second run to be much faster. I checked in V$SESSION_LONGOPS and it looks like it's going quickly in the beginning and slows down a lot at the end (Full scan of MLOG$_ table).

TIA.
--

Best regards,
Alex Gorbachev