RE: Miserable Disks

From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 01:08:14 -0500

Wolfgang's final sentence is an observation of Amdahl's Law at work: If I/O accounts for only a few percent of total response time, then even total elimination of I/O could improve total response time by only a few percent.

The problem I see over and over is people who think they have problems with X (in this case, X="disk I/O") because their OS or their V$ tables tell them they do. They "fix" X, and yet they still have the same performance problems when they're done.

Why guess? ...when you can KNOW whether X is contributing meaningfully to the response time of the business task you care about?

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com
Nullius in verba