Re: Oracle SE and Standby database...

From: Michael Haddon <m.haddon_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 23:10:37 -0500

Chris -

For what it is worth, I have performed the scripted method for years with 7,8 & 8i versions, but with 9i to open a database in standby method you need an enterprise license. In our small (startup), company - when I attempted to open the 9i database in standby mode I was informed (by the database) that the stnadby method was an enterprise feature.

However, we do have a (standby) database that is run in a scripted method on 9i that just does a recovery to the last transfered archive log and then cancels the recovery,.. the database remains in a mounted state, but the scripts connect and perform a recovery using newly transfered archive logs until the logs are applied and then cancels the recovery until new logs are present.

It works, and works well, but attempting to open the database in standby mode fail in 9i. I guess Oracle wanted to take advantage of what some of us have been doing for years.

If you are interested I can send you the scripts we use,.. very simplistic KSh scripts to back up the primary and read paramater files to determine if the database is supported by a standby and then executes additional scripts to apply the archive logs to the standby.

Mike