RE: Metalink and availability

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qg.com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 15:37:50 -0500

The remedy to that is to let it fail miserably or at least take lots of downtime in order to convince the PHBs that there are better alternatives.

The best part is that there's nothing nefarious about it because it'll happen wether you want it to or not. ;)

Luckily the only CPU (Jan'06) I applied to the Windohs/Oracle box was before it went production. And the 4-way Xeon had no problems with it, which I can only explain as pure luck. And yes, Windohs locks down open Oracle files, including log and trace files (grrrr!).

Rich

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Jared Still Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2006 3:22 PM
To: Jeremiah Wilton
Cc: Oracle-L Freelists
Subject: Re: Metalink and availability

Thanks Jeremiah, I will take a look at that.

10 minutes is definitely a big improvement over an hour.

The problems I have run into however have been on Windows machines - no relinking.

Things may go smoothly on a test system, but not quite so smoothly on production, taking more time. It has happened more than once on Windows (for me at least) that some steps had to be repeated as they would fail on the first attempt.

(can't recall at the moment just which ones)

The fact that the backout scripts generated by Opatch on Windows do not work as is does not help.
(The CALL command has be inserted where the BAT
script calls other scripts )

I don't think you can replace the binaries while in use either, as they will be locked by Windows while in use.

Jared