RE: ORA-01115 IO error reading block from file string

From: Mercadante, Thomas F \(LABOR\) <Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 10:10:37 -0400

Donald,

I don't have your hardware configuration, but I've seen errors like this on our platform (IBM AIX/IBM Shark San disk). It happens with us when we are running an Rman backup to disk and the backup directory is full
(not the same mount point as the file that is reported as being
offline/unavailable).

Just a little oddity that we've experienced.

We ignore the error and make sure we have enough room for backups.

Tom

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Freeman, Donald Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2006 9:34 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: ORA-01115 IO error reading block from file string

We have started experiencing this error in the last few weeks and are trying to identify the cause. We opened a ticket with Oracle and one with HP (SAN).I just checked the logs from the web servers and found this ORA-01115 error was logged by the web application 6 times yesterday between 2:49 and 3:10 PM. We're not sure if it's both nodes or just one. The last time it had been logged previously was 12/22/05. Four of those times, it was the same file that our batch process had a problem with -- PARTIES_DATA01.dbf. On the other 2 occasions, it was PARTIES_DATA02.dbf and LOCATION_DATA01.dbf.

HP says the SAN is healthy, Windows hasn't logged any issues, and Oracle says it isn't their problem. If anyone has a suggestion for diagnosing this, I'm all ears.

ORA-01115 IO error reading block from file string (block # string) Cause: The device on which the file resides is probably off line. Action: Restore access to the device, then retry the operation.

Don Freeman
Database Administrator 1
Bureau of Information Technology
Pennsylvania Department of Health