Re: Large Pool zero

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 00:33:49 -0400

On 05/24/2006 11:07:50 PM, Peter McLarty wrote:
> Hi
>
> Hi
> I have come across some sites recently where the large pool has been set to 0, these are 9i sites
>
> Anyone hazard to guess as to why, I haven't found anything substantial on google or metalink

Peter, large pool is mainly used for PGA in the shared server situation. Large pool was created to lower the shared pool fragmentation caused by large sort and hash operations and lower the frequency of 403x errors. It is also used to perform direct I/O by the shared server processes. If you don't use multi-threaded servers, you don't really need it. You should, however, keep in mind that maintaining a sizable large pool in a dedicated server environment will make many good people at Kingston Corp. deeply grateful to you. Kingston Corp. is one of the world's largest memory manufacturers and their website is: http://www.kingston.com

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mgogala.com