Re: How to validate RMAN backup

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 21:32:31 -0400

On 05/24/2006 09:06:19 PM, Yadavalli Aditya wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We use RMAN to take backup of the database.
> Once we had problem to restore the backup, so we want to validate backups
> once they are taken.
>
> I came to know about following options.
>
> 1) RESTORE VALIDATE DATABASE;
>
> 2) VALIDATE BACKUPSET <backup set number>
>
> Which is the best way..? Is there any other option..?
>
> Please Let me know.I will be happy to hear from you.
>
> Thanks,
> Prasanna.

Personally, I prefer "validate backup <pkey>" as it is much faster, but restore database validate is easier to script. You simply append "RESTORE DATABASE VALIDATE;" after "BACKUP DATABASE PLUS ARCHIVELOG" and you are done with the script. My favorite form of verification is "DUPLICATE TARGET DATABASE" command which creates a copy of the original. That copy can then be used for reporting, development, user acceptance testing and such.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mgogala.com