Why is USE_STORED_OUTLINES not an initialization parameter?

From: Schultz, Charles <sac_at_uillinois.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 13:25:02 -0500

We have begun exploring the use of outlines, and one of the things I stumbled upon was that you have set "use_stored_outlines". As we discuss this feature and talk about ramifications, we have discovered that there is a wee bit of overhead in a shop with many databases. Each time we clone or bounce a database, we would have to turn outlines back on. Of course, there is the option of creating a database trigger that does this automagically, but it does make me wonder why it is not an init parameter. I assume there is a good reason that Oracle decided on this. Anyone happen to know the details?

PS - I do realize that this parameter can also have other values besides TRUE and FALSE. I am hoping to focus this question on the boolean values, however. Unless the non-boolean values are part of the decision making process.

charles schultz
oracle dba
aits - adsd
university of illinois