Listener with mixed releases

From: Wolfson Larry - lwolfs <lawrence.wolfson_at_acxiom.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 11:26:55 -0500

Got a couple of clients who had us install 10G on some servers where some have DBs and some don't.

The installers activated the 10G listener (because we always use highest version) and we got 1000s of
 oerr tns 12618
12618, 00000, "TNS:versions are incompatible"
// *Cause: The two machines are running incompatible versions of TNS.
// *Action: Check the version numbers, and upgrade the machine with the
// smaller one.

What's really happening is anytime someone/thing, like monitor programs, executes lsnrctl from lower release we're getting error.

I thought we could just rename lsnrctl in lower releases and put in soft link to 10G lsnrctl program.

Someone suggested we could have problems with NLS settings and should replace lsnrctl with a script instead?

Anyone know if link is enough or do we have to watch out for something else?

	Thanks
	Larry
The information contained in this communication is confidential, is intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be legally privileged.

If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication in error, please resend this communication to the sender and delete the original message or any copy of it from your computer system.

Thank you.