Re: Application Server

From: <ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 17:03:46 +0000

Anything that revolves around keeping the production system up and running is a production team task. Making something that production relies on to keep the system up and available to users to the development team is problematic. They have different goals. Most of them do not like carrying beepers and being available off hours to do administrative support. Plus they will have deadlines and responsibilities to their development management that may conflict with the needs of the production team. Having them manage the application server for development may be an option depending on the organization of your team.

If you don't have any background in J2EE picking up the application server will be difficult. You can figure out what buttons to push in the tool and what scripts to run, but you won't really grasp the underlying concepts.

You will want to work with a j2ee developer. The concepts of application servers are pretty similiar. See if there is someone on staff who worked with weblogic or one of the other application servers. Learning the Oracle Application Server from the tons of documentation without any real J2EE knowledge is going to be difficult and time consuming if you don't work with a java person.

I took an oracle application server training class last year and I found it clunky to say the least. There are times when you need to go in through the gui and run scripts. You will find it necessary to create checklists and instructions for yourself on how to operate the application server. I was not impressed. I get the impression that for the most part application servers are over kill. You can do plenty on a cheap and simple to manage web server. There are very few cases where an application server is even necessary. It seems that most people who buy them because of the hype and don't really analyze whether they are necessary and worth the cost in both resources to administrator and license fees.