RE: filesystemio_options oracle 9i hpux

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 10:20:00 -0700

Alex,

Unless you determine what is the cause of your performance issue, setting different options for filesystems would probably not get you much. (Classic example: Souping up your engine won't help you go faster if you have to encounter 20 stoplights on your way to work). Is this a new installation or an upgrade? 9i or 10g? Are forms slow? or are reports and concurrent jobs slow? Slow compared to what? You will first have to set baselines and expectations before you change options...

Just my $0.02!
John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc
Phone: 408-970-7002 (W)

Fear connects you to the Negative, but Faith connects you to the Positive! I Jn 4:18

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of amonte Sent: Monday, May 22, 2006 11:43 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: filesystemio_options oracle 9i hpux

Hi

I am handling a 700GB Apps 11.5.10 database running on HP-UX PARi(went live last week). The performance is quite poor, I noticed that filesystemio_options by default is asynch. AFAIK there are three options, asynch, direct and setall, should this set to none if AIO and directio arent used?

I guess it has to use asynch (even though AIO is not supported in HPUX if raw device is not used) since direct i/o is not enabled. I deduced this because in fstab thse options are not used

nodatainlog,mincache=direct,convosync=direct

My experience in hpux is limited, worked with Solaris most of times. Does anyone know if enabling these options in Veritas JFS will make lot of difference? After enabling that do I have to set filesystemio_options to directio?

Thanks

Alex