Re: ocssd

From: Alex Gorbachev <gorbyx_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 23:45:39 +0200

That's what I was told today during our ASM training (or what I assumed base on information i got). For Oracle, IO fencing requires at least one voting disk and this is what's configured with CRS (voting disks). In non-RAC setup, you don't specify voting disks, thus, no IO fencing. Right? From my point of view, IO fencing is only needed to support split brain resolution for clustered setup and to evict nodes (anything I missed?).

Today, I did a test - I created a second ASM instance on the same host and databases were not able to register with this instance unless I register this new ASM instance with CRS (and consequently CSS is aware). There was some problem with CRS bahving strangely but this is anothe story.

In the end, I won't tell you "yes, I am 100% sure" unless I trace the processes involved. I am positive that this is the case and I actually can try to trace it down (if I have enough spare time).

2006/5/19, Kevin Closson <kevinc_at_polyserve.com>:

> Alex, are you sure that is why it needs ocssd and not just
> for "fencing" functionality?

Best regards,
Alex Gorbachev

http://oracloid.blogspot.com