Re: Data Mirroring on two data centers -- How to use ASM ?

From: Alex Gorbachev <gorbyx_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 22:19:23 +0200

Madhu,

Coincidently, I just published what I learned today on managing large storage capacity with ASM -
http://oracloid.blogspot.com/2006/05/vldb-with-asm.html. You might find it interesting.

For ASM devices you should be able to use deither LUNs from your storage boxes or AIX's volume manager (if this colume manager is cluster aware). At least on Linux I was able to configure it with both raw devices and LVM2 volumes (even though it's not clustered VM and not supported in this way). However, I don't see the benefit of using both - normal volume manager and ASM - choose one. Otherwise, you will have overhead of administration and more problems as more layers used.

Striping cannot be disabled in ASM. Mirroring can be external - yes.

Btw, you can even use files as your asm disks if you set _asm_allow_only_raw_disks=false. Though, this is probably not a good idea for production but nice feature to play at home and use files instead of partitioning you hard drive.

--
Best regards,
Alex Gorbachev

http://oracloid.blogspot.com