RE: 10g flashback

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 13:36:32 -0700

One gotcha that you need to keep in mind is that the flash recovery area holds much more than just RMAN backups. By default, it also holds the archive logs and flashback logs. In addition, if so configured, it holds Oracle-managed files, multiplexed copies of the online redo logs, and control files. However, only the total size of this area can be defined, and when there is disk pressure on account of rapid generation of archivelogs and adequate disk is not available, RMAN backups will fail with messages such as ORA-19809: limit exceeded for recovery files and ORA-19804: cannot reclaim 52428800 bytes disk space from 2147483648 limit. Be sure to calculate and set an adequate value for the DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST_SIZE parameter and sensible values for DB_FLASHBACK_RETENTION_TARGET. Note that this is independent of the actual disk space available in that filesystem or ASM disk group; this value is simply a logical upper limit and exists to prevent some runaway job from filling up the disk space.

The default is 2G and you should increase it depending on the amount of permanent/temporary usage of space (Most of this text used from Ch 9 in my book).

Regards,
John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc
Phone: 408-970-7002 (W)

Fear connects you to the Negative, but Faith connects you to the Positive! I Jn 4:18