RE: How does oracle resolve a reference to an object

From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_il.proquest.com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 17:21:06 -0400

Hi Gene,

Private synonyms and tables live in the same namespace. That is, for any given user, said user can have a table named TABLE or a private synonym named TABLE, but not both. Oracle tries to resolve names in the current namespace first, so, if there is a table or private synonym owned by user, oracle will first use that, if not, it will look for a public synonym named TABLE and use that. Consider also that USER can use USER2's namespace to resolve objects (within the limits of object permissions) by using the "ALTER SESSION SET CURRENT_SCHEMA user2;" command. In this case, Oracle will search USER2's namespace, then fall back to PUBLIC. In this case, objects in the USER namespace would not be seen.

Hope that helps,

-Mark

--

Mark J. Bobak
Senior Oracle Architect

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. --Richard P. Feynman, 1918-1988