RE: To use SAME or NOT for High End Storage Setup ? .... Stripe Unit Size 32 MB Vs. 64 KB ?

From: Joseph Amalraj <joseph_at_amalrajinc.com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 07:24:19 -0700 (PDT)

In a similar setup (but with only 4 LUNs) with I had tested different stripe sizes and found 8MB stripe size give the best performance. I had tested 1MB, 2MB, 4 MB, 8 MB, 16 MB stripe sizes.

  regards

  joseph

VIVEK_SHARMA <VIVEK_SHARMA_at_infosys.com> wrote:

                Folks

  1. IBM is recommending SAME (Stripe across all the 46 LUNs) + 2 separate LUNs for online redo logfiles
  2. IBM is recommending 32 MB Stripe Unit size across the 46 LUNs using Volume Manager. NOTE – Each underlying LUN has 8 Disks (Hardware Raid 1+0 with Stripe Unit Size 64 KB – This is NOT changeable) Qs. Any feedback on impact of 32 MB Stripe Unit Size(across LUNs) on Performance of OLTP / Batch Transactions?

  For now we are also considering doing a Comparative benchmark of Performance of 32 MB versus 64 KB Stripe Unit sizes across the 46 LUNs.   NOTE – We may NOT be able to do an exhaustive comparison. Hence any similar experiences would help very much.

  NOTE – In a previous VERY Small benchmark on a few CPUs machine & a Very Small Storage Box having just a Few Disks with single Software Striping(NO Hardware Striping) , Performance of our Application’s Batch Runs was VERY POOR for Stripe Unit Sizes of 512 KB, 1 MB, 2 MB. Performance was Good for Stripe unit Sizes of 64 KB & 128 KB.

  Layout:-
  DB Server connects to -> 16 FC Controllers -> SAN Switch -> 18 FC controllers -> DS8300 Storage Box   Filesystem = JFS2
  1 DB Server - P595 model - 64 CPUs
  2 APP Server - P595 model – Each having 64 CPUs   NOTE – At a time Only 1 of OLTP or bath runs will happen

  Thanks indeed

  From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of VIVEK_SHARMA Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2006 6:58 AM
To: kevinc_at_polyserve.com; Oracle-L
Subject: RE: To use SAME or NOT for High End Storage Setup ?

  Kevin, Folks

  For a DS8300 High End Storage:-

  Which one of the following 2 is advisable:-   Qs. 1 Should ALL of the 47 (Hardware RAID 1+0) LUNs be Added into a Single Volume using Volume Manager (RAID 1 – Striping) - SAME concept?

  Qs. 2 Optionally should some “Optimal Num / sets” of these (RAID 1+0) LUNs be added / assimilated into different (multiple) Volumes (of RAID 1 – Striping)? If so, What should be this Optimal Num of LUNs per Volume (4,6 or 8 LUNs) ?

  NOTE – Database will be Laid out across all the 47 underlying LUNs

  Qs. 3 Being an OLTP type Banking application 64 KB Stripe Unit Size is being considered for Both of the following 2:-   i) The underlying Hardware RAID1+0 for LUN creation   ii) Also for the Volume Creation using Volume Manager (RAID 1 – Striping)   Would folks advise using different Stripe Unit Size for the above (i) & ii)?

  Thanks indeed

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Mon May 15 2006 - 09:24:19 CDT